It’s tax season again! As of January 16th, you could start filing. Now is a great time to sort through your files and weed out the unnecessary paperwork. At a loss as to where to begin? Start by getting a few bins and labeling them Shred, Recycle and Trash.
Then weed out the following:
- Junk Mail – flyers, newspapers, magazines, catalogs, credit card applications, etc.
- Expired Coupons
- Old Greeting Cards
- Old Grocery Receipts
- Old Invitations
- Expired Warranties and Service Contracts
- Manuals – These can be found online!
- Articles or Recipes You Haven’t Used
- Old Business Cards
Now toss these documents:
- Taxes – 7 years and older
- Checkbooks – Non tax related 1 Year and older
- Pay Stubs – Toss all except cumulative statement after taxes are filed each year
- Monthly Bills – Toss after each paid month
Don’t let paperwork get the best of you. As I’ve said before, take it one small section at a time each day until you’ve reached your goal.
“It’s the plugging away that will win you the day.” – Robert W. Service